Does Medicare Cover Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Services?

Medicare covers federally qualified health center (FQHC) services that are considered medically necessary at specific locations. Medicare Part B covers 80 percent of the cost of any services, leaving you to pay 20 percent. There is no deductible. Also, all preventive services are free.

Christian Simmons, writer and researcher for RetireGuide
  • Written by
    Christian Simmons

    Christian Simmons

    Financial Writer

    Christian Simmons is a writer for RetireGuide and a member of the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE®). He covers Medicare and important retirement topics. Christian is a former winner of a Florida Society of News Editors journalism contest and has written professionally since 2016.

    Read More
  • Edited By
    Lee Williams
    Lee Williams, senior editor for

    Lee Williams

    Senior Financial Editor

    Lee Williams is a professional writer, editor and content strategist with 10 years of professional experience working for global and nationally recognized brands. He has contributed to Forbes, The Huffington Post, SUCCESS Magazine,, Electric Literature and The Wall Street Journal. His career also includes ghostwriting for Fortune 500 CEOs and published authors.

    Read More
  • Reviewed By
    Aflak Chowdhury
    Aflak Chowdhury

    Aflak Chowdhury

    Medicare Expert

    Aflak Chowdhury is a Medicare expert and independent insurance broker specializing in group health insurance. He has worked for major providers including Humana and Principal Financial Group and today works mainly in the small group market.

    Read More
  • Published: June 22, 2021
  • Updated: April 21, 2023
  • 2 min read time
  • This page features 9 Cited Research Articles
Fact Checked
Fact Checked

A licensed insurance professional reviewed this page for accuracy and compliance with the CMS Medicare Communications and Marketing Guidelines (MCMGs) and Medicare Advantage (MA/MAPD) and/or Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) carriers’ guidelines.

Cite Us
How to Cite's Article

APA Simmons, C. (2023, April 21). Does Medicare Cover Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Services? Retrieved October 4, 2023, from

MLA Simmons, Christian. "Does Medicare Cover Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Services?", 21 Apr 2023,

Chicago Simmons, Christian. "Does Medicare Cover Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Services?" Last modified April 21, 2023.

Why Trust
Why You Can Trust Us

Content created by RetireGuide and sponsored by our partners.

Key Principles

RetireGuide’s mission is to provide seniors with resources that will help them reach important financial decisions that affect their retirement. Our goal is to arm our readers with knowledge that will lead to a healthy and financially sound retirement.

We’re dedicated to providing thoroughly researched Medicare information that guides you toward making the best possible health decisions for you and your family.

RetireGuide LLC has partnerships with Senior Market Sales (SMS) and GoHealth.

Our partners are able to be reached through the phone numbers and/or forms provided on our website.

The content and tools created by RetireGuide adhere to strict Medicare and editorial guidelines to ensure quality and transparency.

Editorial Independence

While the experts from our partners are available to help you navigate various Medicare plans, RetireGuide retains complete editorial control over the information it publishes.

We operate independently from our partners, which allows the award-winning RetireGuide team to provide you with unbiased information.

Visitors can trust our inflexibility regarding our editorial autonomy. We do not allow our partnership to influence RetireGuide’s editorial content whatsoever.

Medicare Coverage for Federally Qualified Health Center Services

Federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and the services provided are covered under Medicare – specifically Medicare Part B.

An FQHC can offer a variety of outpatient and primary care and, like most treatments and services available through Original Medicare, is covered if deemed a medical necessity.

Covered visits must be face-to-face and take place with an FQHC practitioner.

Where Can an FQHC Visit Take Place?
  • Home
  • Assisted living facility
  • Skilled nursing facility
  • Scene of an accident

Medicare will not cover your FQHC visits if they occur at an inpatient or outpatient hospital department or a facility that excludes those types of services.

Medicaid beneficiaries should also be eligible to receive treatment and services at FQHCs.

Medicaid is an assistance program designed to help you receive healthcare coverage if you meet certain requirements, like having a low income.

Did You Know?
About 41 percent of FQHC patients had Medicaid through CHIP.

Federally qualified health centers are also covered through Medicare Part C.

Medicare Advantage plans include everything under Original Medicare, so an FQHC visit would also be covered.

Expected Costs for Federally Qualified Health Center Services

Medicare Part B pays for 80 percent of the cost of any services you receive at a center – which means you are responsible for the remaining 20 percent.

You do not have to pay a deductible or coinsurance.

Preventive services are also available through an FQHC at no cost to you. Additionally, there are discounts available if your income is limited.

Don't Leave Your Health to Chance
Find a local Medicare plan that fits your needs by connecting with a licensed insurance agent.

Where Can You Find an FQHC?

Federally qualified health centers are in rural and urban areas. These centers are meant to help underserved communities and populations as a low-cost way to receive healthcare.

According to 2018 United States National Library of Medicine study, the number of FQHCs has increased by more than 80 percent through the previous decade.

Your FQHC care options range from physician services, transitional care and chronic care management.

If you have diabetes or renal disease, you may also be eligible for outpatient diabetes self-management training and medical nutrition therapy through an FQHC. Check with your healthcare provider or local health center to determine what other services might be available to you.

Common Types of FQHCs
  • Community health centers
  • Healthcare-for-the-homeless centers
  • Migrant health centers
  • Public housing primary care centers

The U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration offers a map to easily locate FQHCs near where you live.

Last Modified: April 21, 2023

9 Cited Research Articles

  1. U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2021, April 26). Medicare Benefit Policy Manual. Retrieved from
  2. U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2021, January). Federally Qualified Health Center. Retrieved from
  3. U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (2020, April 9). Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) Center. Retrieved from
  4. U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration. (2018, November). What is a Health Center? Retrieved from
  5. U.S. National Library of Medicine. (2018, October 23). Geographic Expansion of Federally Qualified Health Centers 2007-2014. Retrieved from
  6. U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration. (2018, May). Federally Qualified Health Centers. Retrieved from
  7. U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. (n.d.). Medicaid Service Delivery: Federally Qualified Health Centers. Retrieved from
  8. U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.). Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) services. Retrieved from
  9. U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration. (n.d.). Find a Health Center. Retrieved from