Does Medicare Cover Mobility Equipment?

Medicare covers a wide range of mobility equipment, including wheelchairs, scooters, power wheelchairs, canes and walkers, as durable medical equipment. If your health care provider is enrolled in Medicare and deems the equipment medically necessary for use in your home, Medicare Part B will cover 80 percent of the cost, leaving you to pay the remaining 20 percent after you've met your deductible.

Christian Simmons, writer and researcher for RetireGuide
  • Written by
    Christian Simmons

    Christian Simmons

    Financial Writer

    Christian Simmons is a writer for RetireGuide and a member of the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE®). He covers Medicare and important retirement topics. Christian is a former winner of a Florida Society of News Editors journalism contest and has written professionally since 2016.

    Read More
  • Edited By
    Matt Mauney
    Matt Mauney, Senior Editor for RetireGuide

    Matt Mauney

    Financial Editor

    Matt Mauney is an award-winning journalist, editor, writer and content strategist with more than 15 years of professional experience working for nationally recognized newspapers and digital brands. He has contributed content for,, The Hill and the American Cancer Society, and he was part of the Orlando Sentinel digital staff that was named a Pulitzer Prize finalist in 2017.

    Read More
  • Reviewed By
    Aflak Chowdhury
    Aflak Chowdhury

    Aflak Chowdhury

    Medicare Expert

    Aflak Chowdhury is a Medicare expert and independent insurance broker specializing in group health insurance. He has worked for major providers including Humana and Principal Financial Group and today works mainly in the small group market.

    Read More
  • Published: May 3, 2021
  • Updated: February 20, 2023
  • 3 min read time
  • This page features 8 Cited Research Articles
Fact Checked
Fact Checked

A licensed insurance professional reviewed this page for accuracy and compliance with the CMS Medicare Communications and Marketing Guidelines (MCMGs) and Medicare Advantage (MA/MAPD) and/or Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) carriers’ guidelines.

Cite Us
How to Cite's Article

APA Simmons, C. (2023, February 20). Does Medicare Cover Mobility Equipment? Retrieved September 28, 2023, from

MLA Simmons, Christian. "Does Medicare Cover Mobility Equipment?", 20 Feb 2023,

Chicago Simmons, Christian. "Does Medicare Cover Mobility Equipment?" Last modified February 20, 2023.

Why Trust
Why You Can Trust Us

Content created by RetireGuide and sponsored by our partners.

Key Principles

RetireGuide’s mission is to provide seniors with resources that will help them reach important financial decisions that affect their retirement. Our goal is to arm our readers with knowledge that will lead to a healthy and financially sound retirement.

We’re dedicated to providing thoroughly researched Medicare information that guides you toward making the best possible health decisions for you and your family.

RetireGuide LLC has partnerships with Senior Market Sales (SMS) and GoHealth.

Our partners are able to be reached through the phone numbers and/or forms provided on our website.

The content and tools created by RetireGuide adhere to strict Medicare and editorial guidelines to ensure quality and transparency.

Editorial Independence

While the experts from our partners are available to help you navigate various Medicare plans, RetireGuide retains complete editorial control over the information it publishes.

We operate independently from our partners, which allows the award-winning RetireGuide team to provide you with unbiased information.

Visitors can trust our inflexibility regarding our editorial autonomy. We do not allow our partnership to influence RetireGuide’s editorial content whatsoever.
Mobility Equipment Coverage at a Glance
Medicare PlanMobility Equipment Coverage
Part A (Inpatient)N/A
Part B (Outpatient) Covers 80% of medically necessary mobility equipment costs after you have reached your Part B deductible.
Part C (Medicare Advantage)Coverage mirrors Part B. Select plans may offer additional benefits.
Part D (Prescription Drugs)N/A
Supplemental InsuranceCan help cover out-of-pocket mobility equipment costs. Coverage varies by plan.

Does Medicare Cover Wheelchairs?

Wheelchairs are covered as durable medical equipment under Medicare Part B. If your doctor prescribes a wheelchair for you to use in your home, then Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost. That leaves you to pay 20 percent after your deductible has been met. Your doctor and supplier must be enrolled in Medicare for the equipment to be covered.

Medicare may pay only for you to rent a wheelchair — not buy one — because a wheelchair is a more expensive and substantial purchase than other common equipment. Medicare typically requires beneficiaries to rent and not purchase items that are considered DME.

But any repairs or replacement parts that you may need will be covered by Medicare only if you own the equipment, while costs for rented items will fall to the supplier. Medicare often pays for equipment like wheelchairs to be rented for up to 13 months.

If you are prescribed a wheelchair to use in your home, you may want to look into various home modifications that can prevent falls and accidents. Past studies have shown that these modifications lead to fewer injuries among wheelchair users.

Are Power Scooters Covered By Medicare?

Scooters are covered as DME if they are prescribed for use in your home by a doctor. Medicare will also help pay for a power wheelchair if it is deemed medically necessary and you meet certain conditions.

A power wheelchair is essentially an electric wheelchair and is meant for people who don’t have the strength or mobility to safely use a manual wheelchair or steer a scooter. In addition to a written prescription, you also have to go through a face-to-face examination before Medicare will help pay for a power wheelchair.

Medicare will only help pay for a power wheelchair if you:
  • Significantly struggle to move around your home
  • Can’t safely use a cane or walker
  • Can’t safely use a wheelchair
  • Don’t have the strength to operate or steer a scooter
  • Go through a face-to-face exam with your doctor
  • Can safely use the power wheelchair in your home

Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost for a scooter or power wheelchair. You will owe 20 percent after you have paid your deductible. Your doctor and supplier must both be enrolled in Medicare. Scooters and power wheelchairs are not covered if you need them only for use outside of your home.

Medicare Coverage of Walkers and Canes

Medicare Part B covers canes as DME. This coverage does not include white canes for the blind. Your mobility must be significantly limited and affect you at home for Medicare to help pay for a cane.

Walkers and rollators are also covered, but only if they are deemed medically necessary. Your health care provider must prescribe the walker or rollator for use in your home for Medicare to cover it.

Unlike with wheelchairs, Medicare will likely help pay for you to buy canes and walkers instead of rent them. Medicare will cover 80 percent of the cost, and you will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent once you have paid your deductible. These items are covered only if your doctor and supplier are both enrolled in Medicare.

Last Modified: February 20, 2023

8 Cited Research Articles

  1. U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2022, June). Medicare’s Wheelchair & Scooter Benefit. Retrieved from
  2. HoverRound. (2022, May 16). Electric Wheelchair Parts: 5 Basic Components. Retrieved from
  3. U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2021, November 16). Provide Compliance Tips for Canes and Crutches. Retrieved from
  4. U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2021, August). Medicare Coverage of Durable Medical Equipment & Other Devices. Retrieved from
  5. National Center for Biotechnology Information. (2002, January). Wheelchair Users at Home: Few Home Modifications and Many Injurious Falls. Retrieved from
  6. U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (n.d.). Canes. Retrieved from
  7. U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (n.d.). Walkers. Retrieved from
  8. U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (n.d.). Wheelchairs & Scooters. Retrieved from