- Written by Christian Simmons
Christian Simmons is a writer for RetireGuide and a member of the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE®). He covers Medicare and important retirement topics. Christian is a former winner of a Florida Society of News Editors journalism contest and has written professionally since 2016.Read More
- Edited BySavannah Pittle
Senior Financial Editor
Savannah Pittle is a professional writer and content editor with over 16 years of professional experience across multiple industries. She has ghostwritten for entrepreneurs and industry leaders and been published in mediums such as The Huffington Post, Southern Living and Interior Appeal Magazine.Read More
- Financially Reviewed ByEbony J. Howard, CPA
Ebony J. Howard, CPA
Credentialed Tax Expert at Intuit
Ebony J. Howard is a certified public accountant and freelance consultant with a background in accounting, personal finance, and income tax planning and preparation. She specializes in analyzing financial information in the health care, banking and real estate sectors.Read More
- Published: April 4, 2023
- Updated: October 25, 2023
- 5 min read time
- This page features 9 Cited Research ArticlesKey Takeaways
- American National offers fixed deferred annuities, index deferred annuities and single premium immediate annuities.
- American National holds “A” scores from the major credit ratings agencies, giving credibility to the fact its products are safe, long-term investments.
- The provider charges no ongoing fees for its annuities unless they’re purchased with an optional lifetime income rider. If you withdraw over 10% of your money in any year, surrender charges can be as high as 10%.
About American National
As a financial services conglomerate, American National offers a variety of life insurance, accident insurance and property insurance policies, plus other financial investment products. First founded in Galveston, Texas, in 1905 as American National Insurance Company, it has grown to include several large subsidiaries. The company sells insurance and investment products in all 50 states.You can contact American National’s bill pay and policy services customer service line at 800-252-9546.
You can also email the company at email@example.com or use an online portal to review your policy, payouts and other account details.
If you have more questions about American National, you can get answers through the virtual assistant on the company’s website.
American National: Reputation and Financial Stability
American National enjoys “A” ratings from major credit ratings agencies, including Fitch and S&P Global Ratings. These ratings indicate that the company is financially stable and has enough money to meet current and future financial obligations, including those for long-term products like annuities.
AM Best Fitch S&P Global Ratings Financial Strength Rating A A ASource: American National
American National’s Annuity Product Offerings
American National offers three annuity products: index deferred annuities, fixed deferred annuities and a single premium immediate annuity. Each offers different annuity rates to meet customers’ needs.
Index Deferred Annuities
American National’s index deferred annuities deliver fluctuating interest rates that move up and down according to a stock index that approximates stock market performances. These annuities have higher-than-average growth potential but also protect your principal from stock market losses. Your interest rate can never fall below zero, and your premium deposits can never lose value.
American National’s index deferred annuity products include ANICO Strategy Indexed Annuity (ASIA) PLUS.
Fixed Deferred Annuities
American National’s fixed deferred annuities provide a guaranteed interest rate for the duration of the annuity term. Once payouts start, you’ll receive the same-sized payments each month. This option works well for people who want an annuity that carries minimal risk.American National’s fixed deferred annuity products include:
- Century Plus Annuities
- Palladium Multi-Year Guarantee Annuity (MYG)
- WealthQuest Citadel 5 Diamond Annuity
- WealthQuest Citadel 7 Diamond Annuity
Single Premium Immediate Annuity
Unlike most annuities, American National’s single premium immediate annuity pays out just one month after you purchase it. This product guarantees its interest rate and regular payments for as long as your funds last. It’s an ideal investment for people who want to spread their income across several years to make their cash flow more predictable and to lower their overall tax burden.
American National’s single premium immediate annuity product is the Palladium Single Premium Immediate Annuity.Interested in Buying an Annuity?Connect with a specialist to find out how an annuity can offer you guaranteed monthly income for life.
*Ad: Clicking will take you to our partner Annuity.org.
American National’s Annuity Fees and Charges
Take potential fees and charges into account when you buy an annuity. American National charges no administrative fees on any of its standard annuities, making it one of the most cost-effective options on the market.
Some of American National’s annuities, including the ANICO Strategy Indexed Annuity and the Century Plus Annuity, have optional lifetime income riders, which entitle you to ongoing payments even if your initial premium runs out. The premium on a lifetime rider costs up to 1% of the contract amount plus any interest your premium accumulates.
If you withdraw more than 10% of your premium amount in any year, you’ll owe surrender charges on that money. The amount depends on the specific annuity policy, but it can be as high as 10% of your withdrawal amount during the first year of the term. The rate falls each year after that until the term is up.
Contacting Customer Service
American National has two customer service departments for annuity customers. You can contact the Bill Pay & Policy Service department of American National’s annuities division by phone at 800-252-9546 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have claims questions, contact the Life & Annuity claim service department 800-615-7372 or by email at email@example.com.
American National also has a service-oriented online portal. You must register for an account by providing your policy number and verifying your identity.
FAQs About American National’s Annuity ProductsHow can you access money in an American National annuity?You can submit a withdrawal request for your American National annuity funds by mail or email. You can withdraw up to 10% of your annuity premium each year penalty-free until your term is up. If you want to withdraw more, you’ll pay a surrender fee of up to 10% of your withdrawal amount.What is the surrender period for American National annuities?The surrender period for an American National annuity can be anywhere from three years to 10 years. The exact number depends on which annuity you own and the length of the annuity term. You can find this information in the contract documents you received when you bought your annuity.What happens to an American National annuity if you die before the end of the contract?If you die before the end of your American National annuity contract, the remaining value of your annuity on your date of death will be paid out to a specified beneficiary or your estate. Your executor can then distribute this money to any heirs.Last Modified: October 25, 2023
9 Cited Research Articles
- American National. (2023, February 1). Annuity Product Rates. Retrieved from https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/369500a8-c330-416e-9301-24889d16b18d/downloads/American-National-Rates.pdf
- American National. (2020, September). Palladium® Multi-Year Guarantee Annuity Series. Retrieved from https://www.immediateannuities.com/annuity-brochures/american-national-palladium-myg-annuity.pdf
- American National. (2020, September). Century Plus Annuity with Lifetime Income Rider. Retrieved from https://www.annuityresources.com/assets/brochures/centuryplus.pdf
- American National. (2016, August). Palladium Immediate Annuity Series. Retrieved from https://www.immediateannuities.com/annuity-brochures/anico-palladium-single-premium-immediate.pdf
- American National. (n.d.). ANICO Strategy Indexed Annuity PLUS 10. Retrieved from https://www.annuityexpertadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/upcp-product-file-uploads/American%20National%20Strategy%20Indexed%20Annuity%20Plus%2010%20Brochure.pdf
- American National. (n.d.). Annuities. Retrieved from https://www.americannational.com/wps/portal/an/menu/insurance/annuities/
- American National. (n.d.). Company Ratings. Retrieved from https://www.americannational.com/wps/portal/an/menu/about/about-us/company-ratings
- American National. (n.d.). Contact Directory. Retrieved from https://www.americannational.com/wps/portal/an/menu/contact/
- American National. (n.d.). What Makes American National So Different? Retrieved from https://www.americannational.com/wps/portal/an/menu/about/about-us
- Edited By
Calling this number connects you to one of our trusted partners.
If you're interested in help navigating your options, a representative will provide you with a free, no-obligation consultation.
Our partners are committed to excellent customer service. They can match you with a qualified professional for your unique objectives.
We/Our Partners do not offer every plan available in your area. Any information provided is limited to those plans offered in your area. Please contact Medicare.gov or 1-800-MEDICARE to get information on all of your options.844-359-1705